Boeing Employees Wine and Beer Club
Friday, April 15th - 7:00-9:00 pm
Larry's Brewing supply in Tukwila
(790 Andover Park E, Tukwila, WA 98188)
April Joint Meeting with the Impaling Alers
As sure as death and taxes, the 3rd Friday of the month cometh. And nearly as sure, and much more fun, the gathering of Impaling Alers. After paying your taxes, you will definitely need a homebrew, so come on down (or up, or sideways, ...) and enjoy!
- Cask Beer - His Emminence, the Overpresidemporlord, has outdone himself. Have you ever wondered about the ins and outs of making and serving cask beer? Thanks to out liege, he has got the fine folks from Machine House to come talk and give wisdom ( http://www.machinehousebrewery.com/ )
- Beer on the Fly - Your lowly scrivener will be balancing very small pint glasses on a common housefly. What! This just in from Justin, Beer on the Fly (TM) does not involve any insects, just beer. New plan, I will be presenting my late hopped Bohemian Pilsner - Saaz All. Well, mostly Saaz, since the Saaz was stupid low alpha this year, a bit of Magnum for the 60 minute bittering charge. A big chunk of the bittering is from late additions and a hop stand.
- Style Sherpa - The sherpa has tuned his karma, walked his dogma and is one with the Beerverse. Oh, and he will be presenting some British styles to match up w/the cask theme.
- Iron Beer on the fly - Mostly beer on the fly, but there is one required ingredient. Imperial Yeast ( http://www.imperialyeast.com/ ) has given us something to give away and brew with. You have 3 guesses as to what they gave us, and the first two don't count. Ok, one hint. Brewers make wort, _____ make beer.
- Usual Shenanigans - announcements, milling around talking about brewing, sampling each others brew, eating some food and having a good time. This only works if you show up and bring food and/or beer!
sean "revdembeerenjuns" drew
The Boeing Employees Wine and Beer Club would like to invite you to attend a club wine event – March Madness.
PLEASE RSVP - click on this link https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/RVTFKDV
WINE EVENT: March Madness “competition”, Hosted by BEWBC, Peter Zaches (running the tournament) & Brad Sherman (at his winery!)
WHEN: FRIDAY, March 25th, 7:00PM – 9:00PM
WHERE: Michael Florentino Cellars, Woodinville
· March Madness involves a fun competition of both club member wines and commercial wines that are tasted and judged by all present at the meeting.
· This March Madness will showcase club member wines – both homemade member wines and alumni commercial wines, PLUS some other commercial wines of our vineyard sources. The objective is to provide potential new club members exposure to “what are wines of BEWBC members & alumni pros like?”. Please consider bringing a guest that is an eligible and interested potential member.
· You are encouraged to enter/bring a wine – preferably one of your homemade wines OR a commercial wine of a club alumni, or as an alternative ANY commercial wine of your choosing (that you think would show well, represent a good value, etc.).
· In the tournament, homemade wines will be judged along with commercial wines – there will be a prize (and more importantly, fun “boasting rights”) for bringing the winner “1st place homemade wine” and “1st place commercial wine”
N No fee if you bring a wine, $5/person fee for those without a wine
For planning the tournament brackets PLEASE RSVP BY WEDNESDAY, MARCH 23RD (including the wine you plan to bring) by Survey Monkey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/RVTFKDV
For questions, contact Joe Sikora this email.
Joe & BEWBC
An Introduction to Wine Making
Sat, May 14th
10 am – 2 pm
The Boeing Employees Wine and Beer Maker’s Club (BEWBC) in coordination with Larry’s Brewing and Supply, is once again pleased offer an introduction to wine making program to be held at Larry’s Brewing and Supply in Tukwila, 790 Andover Park E, Tukwila.
This is a 4 hour program intended to introduce those interested in winemaking to the principles and processes of making wine from fruit and quality grapes. While the topic of fruit and white wine making will be discussed, the primary emphasis will be on making red wine from premium grapes.
This introduction to wine making also serves as a prelude to the Fundamentals of Winemaking Class, a two day class held later in the summer. Additional information about the Fundamentals class will be shared during this session, including cost (about $35) for the class as well as the availability of grapes.
The Introduction to Wine Making is free and open to the public.
For more information about BEWBC, please visit BEWBC.org
or contact Larry’s Brewing Supply, 253-872-6846 and at
Friday, March 18th - 7:00-9:00 pm
Larry's Brewing supply in Tukwila
(790 Andover Park E, Tukwila, WA 98188)
March Joint Meeting with the Impaling Alers
Madness marches on, but we brewers are relaxing,having a homebrew and going to a gathering of the Alers. There will be countless basketball games in March, but only one Aler meeting! You have no excuses, unless you are helping out at NHC as a judge or steward (let me know if you still want to help)! And thanks again for all who showed up to the bottle sort. We stared down the legions of bottles, smiled wryly and then sorted the bajeebers out of them and finished early. Sooo, to make up for all those Alers on the front lines Friday, we need all hands on deck to keep the meeting epic.
What's on deck? In no particular order:
- FeBrew - How'd they get their beer so dark without any dark malts or food coloring? And how does that beer taste, look and smell? They had to get fermentables less than 5 SRM and have a beer >15 SRM, or something like that. We should have a club officer in charge of writing this kinda stuff down ...
- Skagit Valley Malting - A local maltster will be giving a talk on the importance of keeping your brewery clean. No wait, this just in, he will be talking about malt and their great new local products. interwebz: http://skagitvalleymalting.com/
- Warlords of Acquisition - The fearsome duo will regale us with the goings on at JBLM and the PNW Homebrew Convention. Thanks again for everyone who stepped up to setup/teardown at the events, and more importantly to those provided more brew than one can imagine for two back-to-back events. 3 if you count St. Patty's Day at Larry's. And 4 if you count this meeting ...
- Show 'n' Tell - Some intrepid Alers went seriously old school and made a stein beer by heating rocks to 1.3 quadrillion degrees and throwing them into wort to boil it. Here all about it!
- Style Sherpa - Two words: Import Stouts. Or is that Export Stouts. Import/Export Stouts? Imported Export Stouts? Non-exported domestic export stouts? Re-imported Stouts? Man, I'm completely befuddled, Style Sherpa help me! And sorry, waaay more than 2 words.
- Food, fun, homebrew - bring food and homebrew, we will make the fun together.
sean "st00w3rd" drew
The club website is currently having problems with the calendar and will continue to do so until it is upgraded (work is in progress). In the meantime, remember that every third Friday is a joint beer meeting with the Impaling Alers homebrew club at Larry's Brewing Supply. Wine meetings will be posted on the website and we will make an effort to contact registered members about the event. As a reminder, don't forget to renew your membership for 2015!
You can also follow our Facebook page that we will try to start using more frequently!